Shhhh, it's a secret! We like to refer to the Autumn months as the Secret Season on Amelia Island. Summer has come to an end and many visitors have returned home leaving the island somewhat, quiet. With a long, uncrowded stretch of Atlantic coast beach, a richly historic downtown, diverse and tasty dining options, and an array of accommodations for every style, Amelia Island is the perfect place for a relaxing fall getaway. The secret is out! Here are 10 reasons why you should plan to visit Amelia Island this fall:
1. Fall Lodging Deals
- Whether you're looking for an upscale escape to one of our south-end island resorts, a few days in a historic bed & breakfast inn, all the comforts of home in a vacation rental, or a favorite family hotel/motel getaway, Amelia Island offers a place for every stay, style and budget. Enjoy the cooler temperatures and the natural beauty of this very special season with these Fall Lodging Specials
2. Picnic by (or on) the Ocean
– Who doesn't love a picnic. Are you ready? Grab a picnic blanket, a delicious "to go" lunch and page-turning book from Story & Song Bookstore Bistro
, then head off to Main Beach park for the ultimate seaside picnic on a lovely fall day. Or, take your picnic on the water with a two-person private sailing excursion with WINDWARD SAILING
. Pick the time and bring along your favorite wine and appetizers to enjoy a romantic sunset.
3. Learn as you Stroll
– With such a storied past, it's easy to get a history lesson just from strolling around Amelia Island. Pop into the historic downtown Train Depot (aka Welcome Center) and pick up a self-guided walking tour map to learn all about the beautiful Victorian-era homes and churches that line the "silk stocking" district. Or, take a guided walking tour offered by the Amelia Island Museum of History
that really brings our treasured history to life. Spend the day walking the grounds at Fort Clinch State Park
that dates back to the Civil War. If only walls could talk!
4. Get out of your Comfort Zone
– Are you one of those adventurous folks looking for the next adrenaline pumping good time? If so, we've got you covered on land, sea, and air. If horseback riding on the beach has long been on your bucket list, call AMELIA ISLAND HORSEBACK RIDING
, KELLY SEAHORSE RANCH
, or HAPPY TRAILS WALKING HORSES
and get that one checked off. Amelia River Cycle
is a unique way to explore nature and marine life by peddling around the Amelia River on a hydro bike. If you've ever thought about doing a tandem skydive, the folks at Skydive Amelia
are ready to show you how beautiful our island is from 12,000 feet in the air. Yikes!
5. Take Photos
- You don't have to be a professional photographer to catch just the right light on an Amelia Island autumn day. Especially if you catch the sun rising over the ocean, or setting on the marsh, or dancing across the Amelia River. You'll frankly find it hard to put your phone or camera away with so much beauty to capture. Check out our favorite island Instaspots
and capture a memory to frame. Speaking of which, we want to see your BEST photos or videos of your most memorable vacation moments so we can inspire other travelers. Enter our #AmeliaIslandMemories
contest for a chance to win a themed prize!
6. Get Artsy
– Amelia Island is no stranger to the arts. Everything from theatre and music, to visual arts and tours. Stroll our 2ndSaturday Artrageous Artwalk
where you can mingle with the masters of mixed media at participating galleries. Take in a live (or livestream) show at Amelia Musical Playhouse
or Amelia Community Theatre
. Bring a bottle of wine and your best friend to create your own work of art at Amelia Makery
, Amelia Island’s fun spot for ceramic, wood board and canvas painting. There is something here
7. Slow Down
- If you're always full speed ahead, slow it down and enjoy all the beauty and serenity Amelia Island has to offer from the deck of a paddleboard, kayak, or canoe. With the fall ocean temps still warm, you can hang-ten on a surf board and hit the waves. WATER SPORTS
on Amelia Island are available all year round but in the fall when things move just a little bit slower, you can really experience all the beauty around you.
8. Dine Under the Stars
- 'Tis the season for al fresco dining and notable restaurants from around the island are ready to serve you under the stars. Downtown: Cafe Karibo
serves up delicious eclectic fare in their large garden patio with whimsical twinkling lights while Espana
tucks you away in their lush outdoor garden. Central:
Enjoy casual seafood with a cajun flare at Kitchen 251
where the food is great and the sunsets are gorgeous. South:
Treat your loved one to an exceptional date night at Pogo's Kitchen
, offering southern refined food with a twist and outdoor dining on the patio. Amelia Island is burgeoning with 90+ dining options. Check them all out here
9. Take in 18 holes
– With 99 holes of unparalleled golf to choose from and much smaller wait times at the tee box, fall is a great time to hit the links on Amelia Island and the choice of course
is yours. Some of the world’s best golf architects – Dye, Fazio, Palmer, and Weed – have partnered with Mother Nature herself, creating some of the region’s best golf out of the island’s beautiful natural landscape. From undulating greens, marsh front holes and oak-lined fairways, the links of Amelia Island offer irresistible play for golfers of every skill level.
10. Hit the trails
- There's something about BIKING
in milder weather under a tree-lined canopy that brings out the kid in everyone. Check into Fort Clinch where bicyclists can enjoy a six-mile trail through the park. These nature trails not only allow you to pedal through civil war history but also observe native plants and wildlife. Pedal through Egan's Creek Greenway
to see nature up close and personal or jump on the AMELIA ISLAND TRAILS
that run from Peters Point Beachfront Park to Amelia Island State Park or the newest Amelia River to Sea Trail
that runs from Crane Island to the beach.
What adventures await you on Amelia Island this fall? Book your stay
and discover the season's secrets for yourself.