11 Gifts of Dickens on Centre
Mark your holiday diary, from December 7-9, Christmas Past is made Present right here on Amelia Island. Train rides, parades, twinkling lights and holiday delights await for all ages. Here are 11 holiday treats you won't want to pass up.
There's so much to unpack when this Victorian-inspired holiday festival returns to Amelia Island. Inspired by “A Christmas Carol,” DICKENS ON CENTRE
transforms downtown Fernandina into a classic English village, sure to enliven your Christmas spirit from December 7-9. BOOK YOUR STAY
1) Hold on to your top hat and “Run like the Dickens.” This 1-mile sprint will take place Saturday, December 8 on the shores of Main Beach. After the race, there will be cookies and hot chocolate served. Proceeds benefit the Fernandina Beach Middle AVID program.
2) Saint Nick will arrive for the Dickens on Centre Opening Ceremony, held on the Wharf Stage, featuring Charles Dickens, our Victorian characters and a reading of 'Twas The Night Before Christmas.' Action News Jax anchor Phil Amato will introduce St. Nick on Friday at 6 pm.
3) Discover Christmas spirits at the new Dickens After Dark
, Friday and Saturday at 5 pm. Tickets include a ghost tour of Historic Fernandina Beach, a free drink voucher and access to three exclusive areas with special entertainment and cash bars – Gothic Alley, the Ghost Club and the Story Weaver Society. This event is for guests 21 and older, and Victorian themed costumes are encouraged. (See How to dress like the Dickens
4) The Game's Afoot or Home for the Holidays
is on stage at the AMELIA COMMUNITY THEATRE
, Friday and Saturday at 8 pm, and 2 pm on Sunday. This holiday mystery centers around a party at the home of Broadway actor William Gillette on Christmas Eve. After one of his castmates is found stabbed to death, Gillette must assume his role of Sherlock Holmes to solve the mystery and restore Christmas cheer. The Amelia Musical Playhouse
will present Scrooge the musical December 13-16.
5) Animal lovers and fans of holiday cuteness won't want to miss the Nassau Humane Society's annual Parade of Paws where beloved pets are decked out in their holiday best for a festive stroll up and down Centre Street. The parade starts at the Amelia Island Welcome Center on Saturday at 11 am.
6) Find fun for all ages all weekend at Tiny Tim’s Kids' Zone on North 2nd Street, with Victorian inspired activities including an ornament toss, life-sized games, holiday corn hole, and more. Write a letter to St. Nick to mail to the North Pole.
7) Take the perfect holiday photo with St. Nick himself. Boston Photography will be in the Kid Zone to capture the magic, Friday, 7 pm - 9 pm, Saturday and Sunday, 11 am - 1 pm and 3 -6 pm. Experience the magic and meaning of the holiday season by making a special wish at our Christmas Wish booth.
8) All weekend, the stage will resound with an eclectic lineup of entertainment and musical delights including the King Guy’s Band, Crescendo Amelia, Fok is People, community performances, Doc Thorton’s Wonder Show, a ventriloquist and so much more. Out on Centre Street, you'll also enjoy the sounds of roaming carolers and interact with street performers and costumed characters throughout the event. Take a look at the full entertainment lineup HERE
9) Watch the transformative performance of 'A Christmas Carol' in the one-man performance by Jason Woods, an actor who brings over 25 characters and this enduring classic to life on the main Wharf Stage. The performance will begin Saturday at 7:30 pm.
10) Purchase your 2018 commemorative Dickens on Centre ornament to adorn your Christmas tree. This year’s hand-painted glass ornament features Fernandina’s courthouse, horse and carriage and Victorian carolers. Available at the Amelia Island Welcome Center or Christmas on the River for $29.99.
11) There's no place more enchanting to do your holiday shopping. All weekend long, treasures abound with downtown boutiques and festival vendors and artists along Peddlers Village (Centre Street) and on Artist Alley (North 2nd Street). Gift wrapping available by the Prince of Peace Lutheran Church to make your holiday shopping a breeze.
MAKE YOUR PLANS:
Discover all the HOLIDAY FUN ON AMELIA ISLAND
Take a look at Amelia Island SPECIAL OFFERS
Celebrate the holidays in Amelia Island at DICKENS ON CENTRE