10 Reasons to Visit Amelia Island after the Great Lockdown
We know things aren’t “normal” anywhere right now but just as soon as they are and you feel healthy and safe, we hope you’ll come back to see our enchanted island. Here are 10 great reasons you’ll want to visit Amelia Island after the great lockdown!
We know things aren’t “normal” anywhere right now but just as soon as they are and you feel healthy and safe, we hope you’ll come back to see our enchanted island. We sure do miss our loyal fans and guests. Here are 10 reasons you’ll want to visit Amelia Island after the great lockdown!
– Can’t wait to dip your toes in the ocean? Amelia Island has thirteen miles of pristine, uncrowded beaches that are wide and accessible from many vantage points. There’s so many places to unfold your chair, get your book out and soak up some much-needed vitamin D… all with the sound of the surf just steps away. Whether north, south, or central island, enjoy this flyover and a list of all the beach access points
to find your favorite spot of sand.
Eat, Drink and Be Merry
– Have you been dreaming of going out to eat? Our little island boasts restaurants-a-plenty with a wide variety of tastes and ethnic flavors. They’re ALL to be applauded for serving delicious take-out food with curbside service but they’re ready to serve you indoor or al fresco now. Check out ameliaisland.com/eat
for a complete list of Amelia Island's restaurants and bars.
Shop Til You Drop
– Online shopping has it’s perks and has been a lifesaver for many during COVID-19. We’ve even created the Amelia Island Market
providing a one-stop-shop to peruse merchandise and gift cards for many of Amelia Island’s boutiques and restaurants. However, there’s nothing like wandering aimlessly around a store to find that perfect treasure that you need. Whether it’s a piece of artisan jewelry or art, a commemorative Amelia Island coffee mug, a pirate-inspired toy, or an antique piece that completes your front porch, you can discover it at one of the many shopping districts on Amelia Island. Visit AmeliaIsland.com/Shop
to find that special store you’ll want to visit.
History and Culture
– If you’ve been cooped up in your home for a while and you’re ready to get out and explore, we’ve got you covered. Amelia Island is steeped in history, legends, and lore… after all, we were under the dominion of 8 different flags
! Step back in time to the year 1864 when you visit Fort Clinch State Park
and learn what life was like during the Civil War. Check out historic Old Town where the original location of the town of Fernandina was and the last Spanish city platted in the Western Hemisphere in 1811. Visit one of four museums to delve deeper in our island’s history and heritage. It all can be found at AmeliaIsland.com/Culture
– Amelia Island has 99 holes of stunning, world-class golf. From undulating greens, marsh front holes and oak-lined fairways, the links of Amelia Island offer irresistible play for golfers of every skill level. LINKS Magazine Named Amelia Island one of the "Top 25 Golf Islands in the World." Golf is a great sport to enjoy the beautiful weather while keeping your distance from others. Visit AmeliaIsland.com/Golf
and start planning a golf trip with your favorite pals.
Here Fishy Fishy
– Ahhh. A beautiful day on the water with waves lapping at the boat, lines being cast, and stories being told. Sounds perfect doesn’t it? Our island charter boat captains are ready to take you out so you can bring home your own fish tale with an excursion on one of their legendary charters including AC Charters, Amelia Angler, Angler’s Mark, Amelia Island Charter Boat Association, and Ye Olde Pirate Fishing Charters. Visit AmeliaIsland.com/fish
for a complete list of charter fishing businesses.
Many Places to Rest Your Head
– We know times have been difficult and stress levels have been at an all-time high. Sometimes the best medicine for the soul is some time away from it all. Amelia Island is here for you and we have plenty of options for every budget whether it be simple comforts of a favorite hotel, the charm of a historic bed and breakfast, world-class luxury at an oceanfront resort, or beach front home/condo rentals just for yourselves. There’s a place for every stay and every style. We just want to see you back. Visit AmeliaIsland.com/Stay
and book your next visit.
Get Back to Nature
– Our beaches are what we’re known for but that isn’t all that nature has to offer on Amelia Island. Hike and explore Egan’s Creek Greenway which consists of more than 300 acres of protected land for birdwatching and wildlife viewing. Take a guided kayak or SUP tour of the marsh and surrounding waters or enjoy the peaceful tranquility of the Amelia River on board an Amelia River Cruise
. To see the island from a bird’s-eye view, take a hang-gliding
tour for a completely different perspective. Go to AmeliaIsland.com/Nature
for more Amelia Island natural wonders.
– Whether you’re an avid cyclist or prefer a leisurely-paced bike ride, Amelia Island is home to enough trails and paths to give you a change of scenery each day. Egan's Creek Greenway trail is a special ride to view nature at its finest, and the Amelia Island Trail
system allows you to bike over 5 miles from Peters Point Beachfront Park all the way to Amelia Island State Park on the island's south end. One of these fine rental stores will be happy to help you with all your two-wheeler needs! Bike Amelia
; Eco Tours
(Motorized Fat Tire Bikes); or Bike, Scoot, or Yak
– Several of Amelia Island’s signature events were cancelled this year but have no fear…they’ll be back. In the meantime, here are a few of our favorite upcoming events for the remainder of 2020: Enjoy some of the world’s top jazz artists at the Amelia Island Jazz Festival
taking place October 4 – 11. Celebrate the endangered north Atlantic right whale
on November 7 - 8 with their annual return to our waters. Kick off the holiday season with the spirit of Christmas past, present and future at the annual Dickens on Centre
event, December 11 – 13. Finally, let’s kick 2020 to the curb at our New Year’s Eve Shrimp Drop held in downtown Fernandina. Go to AmeliaIsland.com/Events
for a complete list of upcoming events.