Welcome to Amelia's Secret Season
The beauty of Amelia Island in October and November is well-known to those in the know: warm days, low humidity, temperate ocean, slower pace, and nights just cool enough for a light jacket. To celebrate, we've gone around the island and collected an array of insider secrets you won't want to miss.
We like to call October and November the Secret Season, with uncrowded beaches, warm days, low humidity, temperate ocean, slower pace, and nights just cool enough for a light jacket. To celebrate, we've gone around the island and collected an array of insider secrets you won't want to miss.
Stretch your stay and enjoy a free night (terms apply) at one of Amelia Island's hotels, motels, bed & breakfast inns or vacation rental properties with the FREE NIGHT ANY NIGHT promotion.
EAT AND DRINK
Amelia Island's dining scene is burgeoning with over 90 dining options. Everything from the classics to the newest in eateries.
- Try one of our NEW AND NOTABLE RESTAURANTS, from Asian street food to southern inspired.
- For a romantic evening, TripAdvisor rounds up some FINE DINING spots.
- If you'd prefer to stroll while induldging, join a downtown MIXOLOGY TOUR for unique cocktails with a splash of local flavor and a twist of history.
- Or meet Chef Bill Thompson for a Farmers' Market tour, where you'll collect locally-farmed ingredients for a dish prepared back at the cozy AMELIA ISLAND CULINARY ACADEMY.
ON THE WATER
Water water everywhere! Amelia Island offers a wide variety of activities on the water. Take your pick.
- Add something extra special to your evening out with a two-person private sailing excursion with WINDWARD SAILING. Pick the time and (bring along your favorite wine and appetizers) to enjoy while you sail, then return to the dock in time for dinner reservations.
- Take a FAMILY-FRIENDLY SUNSET CRUISE with Amelia River Cruises. This tour offers a relaxing way for the whole family to take in Florida’s first sunset and hear the history of the area.
- For a more adventurous experience, navigate Amelia Island's surrounding waterways by CHARTER. Fishing trips range from family-friendly, half-day outings for redfish and black drum to 15-hour Gulf Stream adventures.
- Slow things down and enjoy all the beauty and serenity the island has to offer from the deck of a paddleboard, kayak, or canoe. Or, hang-ten on a surf board and hit the waves. WATER SPORTS on Amelia Island are available all year round.
NATURE & OUTDOORS
On Amelia Island, you can easily do as much - or as little - as you want. Here are some of the experiences awaiting you.
- Roll up your pants and stroll Amelia Island's 13 miles of pristine Atlantic BEACHES. Hunt for shark's teeth or shells, most bountiful as cooler weather returns, with ADVICE FROM A SHELL-SEEKING PRO.
- Hit the trails: BIKING in mild weather under a tree-lined canopy is just one reason that Amelia Island is known as one of Florida's best places to bike. As for trees, Amelia Island's live oaks have quite a history.
- Stroll through HISTORIC DOWNTOWN FERNANDINA BEACH, with its 50 BLOCKS OF CHARM, protected under the National Historic Register.
- Perfect your GOLF and tennis swings. With 99 holes of stunning undulating greens, marsh front holes and oak-lined fairways, the links of Amelia Island offer irresistible play for golfers of every skill level. Tennis lovers sharpen their skills at clinics on clay courts shaded by live oaks with CLIFF DRYSDALE TENNIS at Omni Amelia Island Plantation. There, visitors can even pick up pickle ball, one of the country's fast-growing sports.
- Ride horseback along the beach. Amelia Island is one of the few places in the country this is possible. CHECK HERE for companies that lead these unforgettable tours.
ARTS & CULTURE
Amelia Island is no stranger to the arts. Everything from theatre, tours, music, and visual arts.
- Stroll the galleries of downtown Fernandina Beach while enjoying wine and hors d'oeuvres at the monthly ARTRAGEOUS ARTWALK, where you can mingle with the masters of mixed media.
- Create your own visual art at the POP-IN ART WORKSHOPS at Artisan Village of Amelia. Or, enjoy AN EVENING OF STORY AND SONG at Story & Song Bookstore Bistro where October brings singer/songwriter, Kyshona Armstrong and November introduces the rootsy-harmonies of the duo, Runaway Home.
- See the spirited side of Fernandina with the weekly Friday evening GHOST TOURS.
- Sit back and take in a show. Local theatre is thriving on Amelia Island. A CHRISTMAS STORY will be on stage at Amelia Community Theatre along with Ken Ludwig's, LEADING LADIES.
- Spend a splendid afternoon in the grass at AMELIA ISLAND JAZZ FESTIVAL'S FREE CONCERT IN THE PARK on October 6, and don't miss the rest of the SEASON'S PERFORMANCES.
SPECIAL EVENTS AND HOLIDAY WARM-UP
There's always something to experience on Amelia Island but check out what we've got lined up at the end of this year.
- The world visits Amelia Island for the largest PETANQUE TOURNAMENT in the United States, November 8-10. Two hundred teams compete in this spirited game for all ages. Held on and around the historic waterfront, they'll be plenty of cafes, restaurants and shops within walking distance.
- Celebrate the North Atlantic right whales and their annual return to the waters off Florida and Georgia, at the RIGHT WHALE FESTIVAL held November 2-3.
- As the holidays approach, mark your calendar for the 5th annual DICKENS ON CENTRE held December 13-15 in historic downtown Fernandina Beach. Enjoy costumed characters, themed entertainment and performances, visits from Saint Nick, and a variety of vendors selling seasonal gifts and wares. This Victorian-inspired holiday festival is as Fun as the Dickens for the entire family!
- Get ahead of holiday gift-giving with the truly unique from Amelia Island's DOWNTOWN shops, or browse a variety of BOUTIQUES AND MERCHANTS throughout the island.