November 18, 2021
Fall is currently in full swing and winter is just around the corner. You know what that means? It means that outdoor temperatures are just about perfect on Amelia Island making it especially popular with nature lovers, photographers, hikers, bikers, shoppers, and more. We also highly recommend some indoor activities this time of year when there are little to no wait times. Here are ten cool and unusual things to do on Amelia Island right now!
1. Explore a Museum. Our island doesn’t lack in the arts & culture department and we’ve got five museums to proove it. The AMELIA ISLAND MUSEUM OF HISTORY, Florida’s first spoken history museum, tells the fascinating history of Amelia Island in a docent-led tour. Visit AMERICAN BEACH MUSEUM located near the south end of the island and learn about how historic American Beach was founded and the journey to preserve the historic site. Other museums feature everything from pinball to sunken treasure. Check them all out HERE
2. Hunt for Shark Teeth. Find treasure during your visit that doubles as a souvenir. The hunt for shark teeth on the shores of Amelia Island is a fun year-round beach activity and you can either go it alone or let AMELIA ISLAND SHARK TOOTH ADVENTURES guide you. You may find the teeth of a Great White, Hammerhead, Tiger (shark), and other species. Search along the high- or low-tide line for best selection. Should you come away with empty pockets, never fear. The SHIP’S LANTERN in downtown Fernandina Beach has plenty of shark’s teeth for purchase.
3. Walk the Greenway. EGAN’S CREEK GREENWAY consists of more than 300 acres of protected, sensitive lands between Atlantic Avenue and Sadler Road, near the center of the island. Enjoy birdwatching, hiking, biking, wildlife viewing, and more along two trails within the Greenway. Don’t forget your camera, and, if you’re traveling with younger explorers, don’t miss the Pirate Playground at the entrance off Atlantic Avenue near the Atlantic Rec Center.
4. Stroll for Art. Amelia Island’s natural beauty has long been both an inspiration for artists and a draw for talented creators from around the world who have relocated here. A great way to sample the island’s art in a festive atmosphere is during the monthly ARTRAGEOUS ARTWALK, held in downtown Fernandina Beach. The Artwalk features participating island art galleries hosting monthly art events where guests can peruse photography, pottery, copper, metal, stained glass, watercolors, and more.
5. Take a Historic Trolley Tour. Climb aboard ANCHOR TROLLEY & TRANSPORTATION for a historic tour of historic downtown Fernandina Beach, Olde Town, and other stops along the way. Journey back in time with knowledgeable drivers and learn about pirates, bootleggers, senators and other historic figures that carved out a place on our island. If you would rather ride in the comfort of an air-conditioned van, give AMELIA ISLAND HISTORIC TOURS a call and let them take you on a journey from the time the Timucua Indians inhabited this area into to the modern day shrimping industry.
6. Escape the Escape Room. AMELIA ISLAND ESCAPE ROOMS is the ultimate entertainment for friends and family. The Creighton House Attic and Greybeard’s Treasure immerse players in the history of Amelia Island while also providing a challenging puzzle solving and team building experience. This is a physical adventure game where folks are locked in a room with other participants and have to solve puzzles, find clues, and escape the room within a set time limit. Will you be able to escape?
7. Kayak (or pedal) the Waterways. There’s nothing better than a day paddling on the water and exploring the back waters and creeks of Amelia Island. Lucky for you, we have MANY KAYAK EXCURSIONS to choose from so pick one and get back to nature. It’s great fun for the whole family and the perfect way to soak up these cooler days. If you’d rather pedal than paddle, check out AMELIA RIVER CYCLE for a totally new and relaxing way to experience nature on the Amelia River. It’s like riding a bike on the water!
8. Take in a Show. Treat yourself to a night of pure entertainment at AMELIA COMMUNITY THEATRE. This national award-winning theatre was founded in 1981 and offers six productions each season on its main stage, plus shows and special events on the studio stage. With plenty of comfortable seating and quality performing arts, you’ll never be disappointed in a show. On the musical front, AMELIA MUSICAL PLAYHOUSE features a variety of musicals, plays and revues throughout the year. This volunteer based theater has amazing talent, live music, and beautiful sets and backdrops. Do yourself a favor and take in a show!
9. Horseback ride on the Beach. Amelia Island horseback tours are well-known and are always listed as one of the top things to do while visiting Amelia island. Taking an unforgettable ride along the beautiful Atlantic shoreline on a horse that has been personalized to the level of the rider is a bucket list for many. Get ready to check that one off your list by calling AMELIA ISLAND HORSEBACK RIDING, KELLY SEAHORSE RANCH, or HAPPY TRAILS WALKING HORSES and saddle up for a tour of the beach like you’ve only dreamed about.
10. Visit a Brewery or Distillery. Did you know that Amelia Island has it’s own distillery and three microbreweries? It would seem appropriate since we’re an island once inhabited by pirates. MARLIN & BARREL is a craft distillery handcrafting a variety of rum, vodka, gin, cello and bourbon. Enjoy samples in their tasting room and learn more about them from knowledgable and friendly staff. Amelia Island Brewing Company is home to THE TAVERN and THE ALLEY with The Tavern offering a full menu while The Alley (right next door) is an awesome taproom with apps focused more on the beer. Looking for a great date night spot? FIRST LOVE BREWING checks all the boxes with over 20 rotating taps and delicious house-made artisan pizzas. Amelia Island’s newest beer company, MOCAMA, is located in an old 1950’s car dealership with mid-century charm everywhere. Enjoy a great beer or glass of wine, all with a cool vibe.
What are you waiting for? The weather is perfect, ACCOMMODATIONS are plentiful and island charm is everywhere. See you soon!
Photo Above: Cruising South On A1A We’re taking you on a day trip down one of Florida’s most scenic byways – Florida’s A1A/Heckscher Drive – that winds along the Atlantic Ocean coastline between […]
Pictured above: Downtown Fernandina Beach From charter fishing and yoga to authentic Cuban cuisine and home decor, the tradition of island hospitality just keeps getting better with these most recent and […]
The perfect Labor Day Weekend begins and ends with the folks you love to spend time with and Amelia Island is ready to celebrate with you. The most important thing […]
If you’re dodging a rain shower or have had your share of sun for the day, take a look at these family-friendly treasures to discover indoors and on dry land.
From boutique shops and eclectic dining to museum tours and spa services, sightseeing downtown is as easy as ABC…