Places of Worship
Amelia Island is home to a number of churches for Sunday worship. Those listed below are mostly located downtown in or near the historic district.
A number of Amelia Island churches also offer wedding ceremonies. Please check with individual churches for information on wedding or view other venues in our weddings section.
FIRST PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH
The sanctuary of the First Presbyterian Church, organized May 22, 1858, is the oldest church structure on Amelia Island. A few short years after the sanctuary was built, worship was interrupted when members of the congregation took refuge during the Civil War to the relative safety of the interior of the state. During the war, the sanctuary was used to house a primary school run by the Freedman’s Bureau.
9 N. 6th Street
SUN: 8:30AM Early Worship; 11AM Worship
ST PETER'S EPISCOPAL CHURCH
St. Peter's Episcopal Church celebrated their Sesquicentennial in 2008, having been formed as a missionary outpost in June of 1858. The present building's cornerstone was laid in 1881.
801 Atlantic Avenue
SUN: 7:30AM Holy Eucharist Rite 1; 9AM & 11AM Holy Eucharist Rite 2
ST MICHAEL'S CATHOLIC CHURCH
The catholic church of Fernandina Beach was founded in 1784 in the community of Old Town. Due to the construction of the railroad by David Yulee, the town was relocated away from the river to its present site. By 1859, a wooden church was built in the same area as the current church. This historic church is named in honor of Father Michael de Aunon, who was martyred in 1597 at St. Catherine's Island in Georgia during the Indian Rebellion against the Franciscans.
202 N. 4th Street
SUN: 8AM, 10AM, 12PM WORSHIP
PRINCE OF PEACE LUTHERAN CHURCH
Prince of Peace Lutheran Church is located one block from the beach and is a place for people of all ages to come and worship just as you are.
2600 Atlantic Avenue
SUN: 9AM Traditional Choral Worship; 10:15AM Children's Sunday School; 11AM Folk Praise and Worship
FIRST BAPTIST CHURCH
Originally located for many years, in downtown Fernandina, First Baptist Church simply outgrew that location and built a grand new Church on 8th Street several years ago. Their mission...moving people from where they are to where God wants them to be.
1600 S. 8th Street
SUN: 9AM Life Groups; 10:15AM Morning Worship; AWANA (Kids) 5PM
NEW ZION MISSIONARY BAPTIST CHURCH
New Zion Missionary Baptist Church is the second oldest and largest Black Missionary Baptist Church on Amelia Island. With 69 members, the church had its beginning on May 15, 1870 in a stable on First Street, until they purchased the land for the church on Tenth Street and Atlantic Avenue on April 1, 1878. Within six months, the original wooden church was erected on the present site known as Lot 1 – Block 53.
10 S. 10th Street
SUN: 11AM Worship
MEMORIAL UNITED METHODIST CHURCH
Established in 1822, Memorial United Methodist Church is the oldest Methodist Church in the Florida Conference. The original building for Memorial on Amelia Island was located on the corner of 6th and Broome Street. Just four years after Memorial’s 100th Anniversary on Amelia Island, construction on the current location, at the corner of 6th and Centre Street began. Over 90 years later, MUMC still growing and remains one of the crowing buildings on Historic Centre Street.
601 Centre Street
SUN: 9:30AM Contemporary Worship; 11AM Traditional Worship
HOLY TRINITY ANGLICAN CHURCH
Located in the central-island community of Amelia Park, Holy Trinity Anglican Church began as an Anglican fellowship in the Spring of 2005 by lay persons seeking to establish a more faithful Anglican and Christian witness in the Fernandina Beach area. Early places of worship were members' homes and a funeral chapel. Becoming part of the Reformed Episcopal Church, the first service began on the first Sunday of Advent, 2007.
1830 Lake Park Drive
SUN: 8AM Holy Communion Service w/o music; 10:30AM Holy Communion Service w/music; 9:15AM Sunday School for Adults & Children
AMELIA PLANTATION CHAPEL
Located on the south end of Amelia Island at Omni Amelia Island Plantation, Amelia Plantation Chapel was founded in 1974 as an Interdenominational Community Church. Their membership of approximately 500 embraces and values all Christian traditions, while celebrating our essential unity in Christ.
36 Bowman Rd.
SUN: 9:15AM Traditional Worship; 11:15AM Praise and Worship