Travel back in time at the DICKENS ON CENTRE
in Amelia Island December 7-9, 2018. This Victorian inspired holiday festival is even more fun if you dress for the occasion. Here are some tips and ideas.
Victorian Accents for Everyone
- A fur, knit or crochet shawl wrapped over your shoulders. In a pinch, a Christmas tree skirt can make a perfect cape!
- Victorian hats came in all shapes and sizes depending on the decade. Small straw plate-shaped hats can be curved and bent into perch hats, while large straw brim hats can be decorated with feathers and flowers for the Edwardian look. Putting on a hat is the quickest way to get the look and the spirit. (You'll often find hats for men and women for sale on Centre Street at Cornercopia.)
- Lace-up boots in black or brown are the most accurate. Otherwise, black oxfords, Mary Janes, mules, and flats will work too.
- A brooch pin, such as a cameo, is an easy accessory that can be worn on your blouse collar, belt, or on that hat.
- Wearing as much jewelry as you could was a sign of your wealth. A filigree Y-shaped necklace or pearls with pendant are easy to find and can look very Victorian.
- Find a long "A-line" skirt that you could pair with a white blouse, shawl and boots or flats, then add the hat of your choice. A pashmina-style scarf looks great around the shoulders or tied around the waist. If you can find a crinoline, petticoat, or old tutu from dancing days, try it underneath for a vintage silhouette.
- Dress her up in a long skirt or straight dress with a white blouse, boots. Tights and a turtleneck underneath keep it comfortable. A bonnet can be trimmed with holly or Christmas bows.
- Black or brown pants and jacket with a white shirt. Maybe toss a scarf around your neck and finish with a top hat.
- Go for black, grey or brown pants tucked into white knee socks with boots or lace up shoes. On top, white shirt or a thermal top in a solid color with a vest, then add a newsboy hat or straw hat, and scarf.
Have fun with your ensemble and start planning your visit to DICKENS ON CENTRE
, where Historic Downtown Fernandina Beach transforms into a classic English village, sure to enliven your Christmas spirit.