8 Ways to Warm Your Heart on Amelia Island
With a long, uncrowded stretch of Atlantic coast beach, a canopy of live oaks, a richly historic downtown and an array of accommodations for every style, there are few places that can match Amelia Island as the ideal place for a romantic escape.
[Photo:Elizabeth Pointe Lodge
] With a long, uncrowded stretch of Atlantic coast beach, a canopy of live oaks, a richly historic downtown and an array of accommodations for every style, there are few places that can match Amelia Island as the ideal place for a romantic escape. Travel + Leisure singled it out as one of America's Most Romantic Towns and USA Today named it as one of Florida's Most Romantic Beaches. A few ideas to get the sparks flying:
- In the heart of historic downtown Fernandina Beach, share an ice cream cone with your sweetheart at Fernandina’s Fantastic Fudge (or try the hot chocolate made with hand-dipped chocolate spoons that melt while you stir.)
- Snuggle up in a horse-drawn carriage and take in sights such as Victorian Era architecture and majestic, moss-draped oaks while listening to a historical narrative of the people and places that shaped Amelia Island’s colorful history.
- Stay in downtown’s historic district (or at the beach at) one of Amelia’s special B&Bs.
- Take a horseback ride along the shore where the beauty of the ocean and its wildlife take your breath away, available with Kelly Seahorse Ranch, Stay'N Country Ranch, or with Happy Trails Walking Horses.
- Experience the sunset with a tour of Cumberland Sound and the Intracoastal Waterway on an Amelia River Cruise. If you want more privacy, rent your own boat at Amelia Boat Club.
- Relax and reconnect with a spa experience. The Spa at Amelia Island Plantation offers a Couples Massage in the comfort of a private treatment room followed by time to unwind in the Spa's private couples relaxation room.
- Spend the day browsing unique shops in the historic downtown district or at the Shops of Amelia Island Plantation. On Saturdays, you can visit two farmers markets, the Fernandina Beach both of which offer baked goods and coffee to enjoy while strolling.
- Get a very special table for two at the Chef’s Table at Salt, a unique, private “Seat in the Kitchen” dining experience at The Ritz-Carlton Amelia Island. The ambiance, the innovative food, paired wines and interaction with chefs at this Five Diamond restaurant make for a night that will long be remembered.