The perfect Labor Day Weekend begins and ends with the folks you love to spend time with and Amelia Island is ready to celebrate with you. Take a look at three ways to enjoy the holiday weekend - whether it's the last summer fling with your family at a resort or hotel, a romantic weekend in a bed & breakfast, or a friends beach getaway in a vacation rental. The most important thing to do is send the summer out with a bang with the people that matter most!
If you and your family never got the chance to take a summer vacation or if you just want a last-minute summer send off, consider booking Labor Day Weekend at one of the south island resorts
where amenities are plentiful and you can literally stay put the entire weekend. Or, try one of the many hotels
scattered around the island. Weekend activities could include:
- Dancing in the Streets - Kick off your Friday night downtown at SOUNDS ON CENTRE, Amelia Island's free, open-air concert series. Get your dancin' shoes on and groove to the sounds of Island Vibe from 6:00-8:00pm at the foot of Centre Street.
- Putt Putting Around - GREGOR MACGREGOR’S MINI LINKS & DRINKS combines a fun round of mini golf with tasty drinks and snacks while ISLAND FALLS ADVENTURE GOLF offers 18 holes surrounded by water falls, bridges and tunnels. Get competitive at HERON’S COVE ADVENTURE GOLF or at Main Beach's PUTT-PUTT AMELIA ISLAND.
- Breakfast with a View - Start your day off with ocean views and a delicious breakfast at the SUNRISE CAFE, located at Omni Amelia Island Resort. With choices of French toast, smoked salmon, eggs cooked any way you want them, crispy bacon and more, you'll never leave hungry.
- Family Bike Rides - Feel like a kid again and tour the island on a bike. Amelia Island has quite a few bike rental companies to hook you up and quite a few routes, paths, and trails to ride on. Whether you're an experienced off roader or a casual pedaler, biking around Amelia Island is a great family memory.
- Oceanfront Lunch - The Ritz-Carlton, Amelia Island's answer to tasty spanish food in an open air, ocean front restaurant is Coquina. Try the Crispy Mahi sandwich served with Tomatada and topped with Coquina Aioli. It’s muy delicioso!
- Cruise the River - Let Amelia River Cruises & Charters take you on a historic and wildlife sightseeing tour with views of dolphins, manatees, and the wild horses of Cumberland Island. Their kid-friendly Shrimping Eco Tour is an interactive and informative tour of the waters surrounding Amelia Island.
- Al Fresco Dining - Dine family-style in a fun outdoor atmosphere at TIMOTI’S. With fresh local and wild-caught seafood, favorite menu items include shrimp tacos, lobster rolls, seafood baskets and poke bowls. Kids love the enclosed pirate ship play area!
Bed and Breakfasts
A Labor Day romantic getaway for you and that special someone could be just what you need. Amelia Island's charming bed & breakfast inns
are picture perfect in every way with secret gardens, shady courtyards, porch swings and rockers, stately architecture, and distinctive decor. Each award-winning property offers daily breakfasts, afternoon happy hours, lodging packages, and loads of history. Weekend activities could include:
- Hiking into History - Fort Clinch State Park is set on 1,400 acres at the north end of the island and is home to one of the most perfectly preserved Civil War forts in the United States. Whether it's exploring the fort, hiking or biking the nature trails, or looking for sharks teeth at the waters edge, this walk into history will be etched in your memory banks for a long time.
- Lunch at the Boat House - Grab lunch at THE BOAT HOUSE, a relaxed and playful dining environment with live entertainment outside on the patio, which is where you should sit. Share some shrimp nachos to start and sip on a glass of wine or one of their signature cocktails.
- Shopping for Treasure - Historic Downtown Fernandina Beach is full of eclectic and independent shops. From trendy ladies and mens boutiques, toys, jewelry, fudge, home decor, ice cream and more, there is a little something for everyone. Shop a while and sit a spell.
- Paddle Out - Explore the back waters, creeks and rivers surrounding Amelia Island. Pick a kayak excursion and get paddling! If you'd rather pedal than paddle, check out AMELIA RIVER CYCLE for a fun way to experience nature on the Amelia River.
- Espana - Specializing in traditional flavors from Spain and Portugal, ESPANA features just-caught local seafood, an array of hot and cold tapas and their traditional paella, which is to die for. Dine in the main dining room or outside on the enclosed patio overlooking the garden.
- Cheers! - Located in an old 1950's car dealership, Mocama Beer Company is as cool as it's mid-century decor. The massive bar & brass taps serve up lagers, porters, stouts, pilsners, IPAs, and ales. If you don't know what you like, order a flight and taste a few. Not a fan of beer? They have a great wine selection, too.
- Sunrise Yoga - For the perfect way to begin your day, try a Sunrise Yoga class at the Amelia Island Williams House. The class incorporates flow sequences and short holds to improve balance, strength, and flexibility. It will leave you feeling stress free.
Grab your besties and live like a local for the weekend. Our extensive list of home and condo rentals will allow you to spread out with all the creature comforts of home - offering everything from views that thrill to private nooks ensconced in nature. Check them all out here
and decide what's best for you. Weekend activities could include:
- Farmers Market Fun - Each Saturday the Fernandina Beach Market Place opens on South 7th street in downtown Fernandina and features live music, arts & crafts, plants, fresh veggies, desserts, and some of the most delicious treats to be had on Amelia Island.
- Adult Sip & Paint - Grab your favorite drinks and come to Paisley Grace Makery for an Adult Sip & Paint. With over 500 projects to choose from, you'll be guided by talented instructors to help you create a painting, sign, or other activity that will be a treasured Amelia Island memory for years to come.
- Hit the Beach! - Visit THE BEACH STORE & MORE to pick up everything needed for a day at the beach (isn't that what Labor Day Weekend is for?). Beach chairs, umbrellas, body boards, kayaks, surf boards, and stand up paddle boards just to name a few. They also sell fishing licenses, bait and tackle for your shoreline fishing needs.
- Lunch at the Sandbar - SANDBAR AMELIA ISLAND sits directly on Main Beach with unobstructed views of the ocean and boasts the largest whiskey and bourbon selection in Florida! Put your toes in the sand while the ocean breezes take you away... Oh, they have really great food, too.
- Duck Pinz for the Winz - Visit the latest craze in downtown Fernandina Beach. DUCK PINZ is like bowling but smaller. In addition to bowling, there's a craft cocktail and bourbon bar upstairs. You and your friends are gonna love this fun place to "play".
- Dinner at The Surf - THE SURF has been serving up tasty seafood with a side of ocean breezes and live music since 1957. Dine on wings, street tacos, fried shrimp baskets, tuna poke bowls and delicious drinks. It's always fun at The Surf!
- I Scream. You Scream - Sit indoors or outdoors and enjoy a creative selection of all-natural yogurts and sorbets with over 50 toppings! ISLAND TIME FROZEN YOGURT is located in the heart of downtown and also offers fresh squeezed lemonade, espresso, beer, and homemade doughnuts.
Happy Labor Day, everybody!