Where the Brisket Meets the Beach
You'll want to kick off football season with this tailgate.
The Great Southern Tailgate Cook-off at Main Beach on Amelia Island starts at 3:00 p.m. on Friday, August 22 and 10:00 a.m. on Saturday, August 23. Admission is just $5 and the event features more than 50 professional and backyard (amateur) teams from across the country. Each team will prepare a variety of barbeque, including chicken, ribs, pork, brisket, as they compete for more than $12,000 in prize money and trophies. Enjoy live entertainment from crowd-pleasing bands including The Dirt Floor Krackers, Swingin’ Medallions, RockIt Fly, and the local Beech Street Blues Band. Attendees at the Great Southern Tailgate Cook-off can purchase food and drink from various vendors and also enjoy the VIP Pig Pub with shaded tables and bar seating, fans, cold beverages, and a great view of the stage. There is a $5 per day cover charge and guests must be 21 years of age or older to enter the VIP Pig Pub.
The following accommodations are offering discounts:
- Returning as the host hotel for the event, the Residence Inn by Marriott of Amelia Island is offering amazing rates and all the amenities you need for a fun weekend on the island. Enjoy rates as low as $109, as well as free transportation to and from the Cook-off all weekend, free full hot breakfast, and access to the hotel’s evening socials. Book online or call 904-277-2440. Must be booked by August 15th.
- Amelia Hotel will be offering a deal rate for the weekend with rooms starting at $119 for standard rooms. Prices on other room types will vary,visit www.ameliahotel.com.
- The Elizabeth Pointe Lodge, the only luxury resort within a two-minute walking distance of the event, is offering visitors with a 15% discount on all two- or more night stays at the Lodge during the Cook-off weekend. For reservations, call 904-277-4851, or visit elizabethpointelodge.com.
- ERA Fernandina Beach Realty is offering a free night to guests who stay at least three nights (applies to stays that include either of the nights of Friday, August 22 or Saturday, August 23. ) Valid for selected properties for any new reservations. Rates are subject to all applicable taxes and fees.
- The Fairbanks House is offering a Cook-off package that includes 15% off three nights in any room, or a fourth night free, as well as free bottle of Roasted Raspberry Chipotle Sauce and bag of Southern Slush Mix. Guests will also be treated to gourmet breakfasts and evening social hours with adult beverages and hors d’oeuvres. This offer is available for new bookings only, may not be combined with any other offers, and must be booked online. Mention code STC14 when making your reservation.
- The Hoyt House Cook-off package includes two free tickets to the cook-off and 15% off any room. This offer is limited to a two-night minimum stay, and cannot be combined with any other special offer.
- Omni Amelia Island Plantation is offering 15% off their best available rate during the Cook-off weekend. Call 888-261-6161 and reference the promotion code “cookoff.” Reservations may also be confirmed online using the same promotion code.
- The Ritz Carlton, Amelia Island welcomes summer with the launch of “Weekday Breakaway” package during the Great Southern Tailgate Cook-off, with $500 in resort credits. This offer is valid weekdays near the Cook-off event: August 17-19 and 24-28. Guests may reserve the three- or more nights “Weekend Breakaway” now through August 28, 2014. For reservations, call 800-241-3333 or visit their website.
For more information about the Great Southern Tailgate Cook-off, entertainment lineup, and each of the accommodations offering discounts, visit www.gstailgatecookoff.com