With cycling routes as long as 100 miles, Katie Ride participants experience the beauty and diversity of our gorgeous island and at the same time celebrate the inspiring stories of our cause - raising awareness about organ donation and transplantation. It is a moving and powerful experience. There is absolutely nothing else like it.
- Jennifer Cook, Director, Katie Caples Foundation
The ride and the foundation are named in honor of Katie Caples, who died at the age of 17 not long after registering as an organ donor. Her ultimate act of generosity saved the lives of five individuals aged 9 to 62 and further enhanced the lives of fifty others. Here's how you can ride (or walk):
IF YOU GO:
- Katie Ride: 100, 62, 32, 18 mile and off-road rides (the 100-mile route covers nine islands. The off-road route is approximately 6 miles round-trip.)
- Walk & Fun Run: travels thorough scenic Egans Creek Greenway.
- Katie Fun Tri: Start with a 300 yard swim in the Atlantic Recreation Center pool, then the 18 mile road ride and finish with a 5K run through Egan's Creek. (Not your traditional triathlon but wow, what a challenge.) This is not a race and will not be chipped or timed. Registration is limited.
- Book a room on Amelia Island and check out the lodging partners offering special deals for Ride participants.
- Sign up for the race of your choice. And, if you haven't already, register to be an organ donor.
- It's possible to rent a bike and other equipment.
- The home base for the event is the Atlantic Recreation Center. On-site registration and early check-in on Friday, April 21st from 3-8pm. Registration (plus check-in and breakfast) opens at 6am on Saturday the 22nd, and events begin at 7:30am.
- Proceeds support the Katie Caples Foundation's nationally recognized organ donor education program and its mission to increase the number of registered organ donors.
- Cyclists (100, 63, 34, 18, Off-Road & Fun Triathletes) must raise a minimum $125 (in addition to the regitstration fee) before check-in to participate. Walkers and fun runners must raise $50 (in addition to the regitstration fee) before check-in to participate. Pariticipants under 18 are not required to fundraise, however, they are encouraged to complete a participant profile, recruit, promote through social media and fundraise to support the Foundation.